Deliveroo UK Rider Support

New Riders Change topic

What insurance do I need?

For cars and motorised scooter you'll need both ‘Social, Domestic & Pleasure’ and ‘Hire & Reward’ insurance when working with Deliveroo.

Social, Domestic & Pleasure (SD&P)

This is standard insurance that covers you for the everyday use of your vehicle. It covers you for the times when you’re not using your vehicle for your work. SD&P insurance is a legal requirement for any vehicle that has not been declared off-road.

Hire and Reward (H&R)

Your SD&P insurance does not cover you for your food delivery work with Deliveroo. If you’re delivering food in return for payment, in addition to SD&P you’ll need to have:

  • Hire and reward insurance, or
  • Fast food delivery insurance, or
  • Carriage of goods, including food, for hire and reward insurance

These are the specific type of cover that Deliveroo riders need to have in place in order to carry out food deliveries in a car or on a scooter. It covers you when you use your car or scooter for work. We’ll need to see proof of this insurance before you start riding with us.

We find many riders get insurance from the following providers, though of course, you’re welcome to use any provider you like:

  • ZegoPay as you go
    Zego is integrated with the Deliveroo rider app, so you only pay for the time you’re logged in. You can sign up for Zego if you’re over 21 years old. Read more on the Zego website or call them on 020 3308 9800.
  • MCEAnnual 
    Read more on the MCE website or give them a call on 019 3335 1361.

What insurance does Deliveroo provide?

When working with Deliveroo riders and anyone using your account is covered by:

  • Free personal injury and income protection (all riders)
  • Free public liability (covers cyclists all the time, and scooters/cars when they’re walking to pick up or drop-off an order)

You can find out more about this free insurance cover here.

Contact us

Other topics